Some parents are worried and frustrated because their child is not able to cope up with the studies, constantly gets very poor grades and gets a lot of complaints from the teachers and school. This could be because of ‘Slow learners’ condition.
Slow learning or slow learner condition could be because of:
1. Low Intelligence Quotient - I.Q. less than 85 (70 – 85) Intellectual disability (ID) or low ability students, with IQ between 70 and 85. These individuals make up approximately 14.1% of the population.
2. Social Handicaps - The other group of children who can be said to be slow learners is children coming from:
A. Underprivileged background
• Extreme poverty
• Lack of education - parents
• Alcoholism in family members
• Divorce – single parent etc.
• Importance of Education not understood etc…
B. Child under stress
• New baby in the home
• Death of family member – grandparents
• Transfers – loss of job
• New school – no friends
• Change in house, locality
• Sudden change in economical status etc...
3. ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder: ADHD is a very common condition where generally the child being average or above average intelligence is not doing well in school. This could be due to either Attention deficit, Hyperactivity or both. The child shows one or many of the symptoms from groups –deficits and Hyperactivity.
Symptoms of Attention Deficit in ADHD
• Be easily distracted, miss details, forget things, and frequently switch from one activity to another
• Have difficulty focusing on one thing
• Become bored with a task after only a few minutes, unless they are doing something enjoyable
• Have difficulty focusing attention on organizing and completing a task or learning something new
• Have trouble completing or turning in homework assignments, often losing things (e.g., pencils, toys, assignments) needed to complete tasks or activities
• Not seem to listen when spoken to
• Daydream, become easily confused, and move slowly
• Have difficulty processing information as quickly and accurately as others
• Struggle to follow instructions.
Symptoms of Hyperactivity in ADHD
• Fidget and squirm in their seats
• Talk nonstop
• Dash around, touching or playing with anything and everything in sight
• Have trouble sitting still during dinner, school, and storytime
• Be constantly in motion
• Have difficulty doing quiet tasks or activities.
• Manifestations primarily of impulsivity
• Be very impatient
• Blurt out inappropriate comments, show their emotions without restraint, and act without regard for consequences
• Have difficulty waiting for things they want or waiting for their turns in games
5. Autism – Autism is a Neurodevelopmental condition where the child has Impairments in - social interaction & communication as a result it will show - Restricted interests & Repetitive behaviour
6. Learning Disabilities/ Disorders – Learning disabilities are discussed in detail under – Service - subgroup – Learning Disorders